Tuesday 14 April 2015

Budget Brushes

Makeup brushes are a staple in any makeup collection, or at least should be... Finding affordable brushes that are still of a great quality can be quite the challenge, as let's be honest, who wants to be spending £20 on a single brush? Definitely not me...

I understand that where there are pricey brushes, there's great quality which is difficult to beat. However, for beginners who are just starting out in makeup or people like me who simply can't afford to splash out, there are cheaper alternatives that do everything you need them to! 

Starting off with a brand I'm sure most people in the know are aware of, Real Techniques. Although single brushes can range between £5 and £15 on average, there are sets and collections that work out cheaper and provide you with all the tools you need. 
My favourite, and typical go-to brushes are from the Core Collection (£21.99) which includes four basic brushes that everybody needs in their collection. 


Budget Brushes, Affordable Brushes, Real Techniques, Core Collection

First off there's the pointed foundation brush - good for applying foundation, but better for smaller details such as concealer or applying foundation in harder to reach areas such as around the nose. Also included is the buffing brush; one of my absolute favourite brushes, which I love using in a circular motion all over my face once I've applied foundation, to ensure there are no streaky lines and that everything looks nice and even. I also use this brush to apply powder over my foundation, as the densely packed bristles ensure that all of the product is picked up and transferred to the face without dropping loose powder.
The contour brush is another favourite, and is perfect for the application of bronzer in the hollows of your cheeks to create a sculpted and more defined look, all in all, I love it!
Finally, is the detailer brush. The great thing about this brush is the fact it lacks a single use... It can be used just as well for precisely applying lipstick, as blending a cream highlight under the browbone. 
The softness of the contour brush and buffing brush is simply amazing, and they last a long time too! I've had my set since July of last year, and have used them religiously since... Although the ends of the bristles are slightly more bent, they still work like a dream... If you're in need of some basic brushes but don't know where to begin, this is a recommendation I'd make any day!


Budget Brushes, Affordable Brushes, Real Techniques, Foundation Brush

Real Techniques also have another foundation brush, which admittedly I prefer over the one in the Core Collection set. Available for £9.99, this brush works wonders with any foundation, whether it's of a light or thick consistency. It does leave a few streaks here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed with buffing it into the skin. It's been one of my favourite purchases, and I love using it! It may be classed as slightly pricey, but it's an investment... Trust me...


Budget Brushes, Affordable Brushes, Real Techniques, Starter Set, Eye Brushes

Sticking with Real Techniques for a little while longer, they also offer some great brushes for everything eye-related! Again, purchasing each brush individually can add up, but the Starter Set is perfect for fitting all of your eye-makeup needs! For £21.99, it contains two shadow brushes; the base shadow brush, and the deluxe crease brush, as well as an accent brush, brow brush and pixel point eyeliner brush.
Again like the Core Collection, these brushes are soft beyond belief, and pick up eyeshadows beautifully without depositing product where you don't want it! I typically use the accent brush for fine details such as building up a little bit of smokiness in the outer corners, as well as using with eyeshadow to create an eyeliner along the bottom lash line. The angled brow brush is wonderful for use with eyeshadow to fill in any sparse areas of the brows, and although I haven't used it in this way, I'm sure it would work equally as well for gel brow products. Finally, the eyeliner brush; great for applying gel eyeliner, and its petite point is perfect for creating a precise wing.

Top tip! - shops such as Boots, Superdrug and even the Real Techniques site itself sell these sets and brushes for full price, but you can purchase them from Amazon for only a fraction of the price! Although prices often change, the Core Collection set is currently available (as of today) for £15, while the single foundation brush and Starter Set are available for £8 and £13 respectively! Have you ever searched Amazon as an alternate store to buy your makeup products?

I am aware that these brushes may not exactly be classed as "budget", but I can speak with experience when I say they are worth every penny, and you'll get a lot of use out of them... For those people who still can't afford it, or would much rather start off cheaper, don't fret! There are plenty of alternatives out there!


Budget Brushes, Affordable Brushes, Amazon, Face Brushes
Face brushes
Budget Brushes, Affordable Brushes, Amazon, Eye Brushes
Eye brushes

After searching online for quite a while, I came across these makeup brushes on Amazon... I'm not entirely sure of their name, as the seller I purchased them from is different to this one, however they're exactly the same. At £6.99 for a full set, including five face brushes and five eye brushes, I was pretty skeptical... How can brushes be that cheap? Can I trust them? Are they good quality or will they fall apart in my hands? Despite my concerns, they had great reviews, and so I decided to bite the bullet and buy them, what's £6.99 if they're rubbish, right? Well, they're flipping amazing. Albeit looking very similar, I've managed to find uses for all of the face brushes, using angled ones for contouring and highlighting, the rounded one for blusher application, and the flat-topped one for stippling and buffing. The eyeshadow brushes are quite large, and I was worried that I was going to end up with eyeshadow all over my face, but they also work wonders! I've used these brushes for two months now, and all of the bristles have remained intact and feel very soft! As you would imagine, they're not of the same high quality as more expensive brushes, but they're still amazing for their price. £6.99 for 10 brushes! I couldn't quite believe it myself...


Budget Brushes, Affordable Brushes, Amazon, Eye Brushes, Eyeshadow, Real TechniquesBudget Brushes, Affordable Brushes, Amazon, Blusher Brush

So there you have it, my top budget brushes... I hope this has been insightful for some of you, or that you at least enjoyed reading this post! Are there any makeup brushes that you couldn't live without? Or any tips on finding great, affordable brushes? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment